I started experimenting with savory versions of oatmeal, and to my astonishment, it’s SO GOOD! Oats lend themselves so nicely to pretty much any flavor, and their nutritional value can’t be beat. Try it with any type of toppings you’d like and let me know how you like your #savoryoatmeal!
- 1 cup old fashion oats
- 2 cups water, plus 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I used vegetable broth and omitted the salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 2 large shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup spinach leaves, sliced thin
- 3-4 dried plums, diced (I used Fruit Bliss® plums because they’re simply the best)
- Toasted sesame oil, for serving
Cook the oats in the water (or vegetable broth) until they get soft and chewy. While the oats are cooking, warm the olive oil in a skillet. Add the mushrooms and ginger and sauté for one minute. Add the tamari and red pepper flakes, and cook until the mushrooms are nice and brown, about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the spinach, and mix well.
Transfer the oats to a bowl, top with the mushroom and spinach mixture and some plums, and top with a small drizzle of toasted sesame oil.
Let me know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment, rate it, or tag a photo using #THEVeganBlonde on Instagram. Bon appétit!
Hooray for Savory Oatmeal!