This Tom Yum soup is fresh, easy, and quick. I was coming back from a 3-day cooking weekend, and needed something fresh and quick after an afternoon on the road with the kids. I would be adamant about making my own broth here. You start the broth and then while it reduces, you can prep the rest of your ingredients for the soup. It’s a total of 30-40 minutes in the kitchen. You can add rice noodles or cubes of tofu to the soup, transforming it into a filling and energizing meal.
For the broth:
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 big handful of fresh cilantro
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable broth
Mix all ingredients in a large soup pot. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to keep a steady simmer and let reduce for about 30 minutes. Strain and discard solids. Reserve.
For the soup:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 lemongrass stalks, tough outer leaves removed, tender stems minced
- 1 kaffir lime leaf, minced (optional)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped finely
- 8 ounce shiitake mushroom, sliced thick
- 5 ounce cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons naturally brewed soy sauce
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- Garnishes: fresh cilantro, lime wedges, grilled tofu cubes, rice noodles (optional)
Heat coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, lemongrass, and kaffir lime leaves, and sauté 2 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and sauté one minute more. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, for an additional 3 minutes.
Add the reserved broth, tomatoes, green onions, maple syrup, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 6-7 minutes.
Right before serving, add the fresh lime juice. Ladle soup in bowls, top with some bean sprouts, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges, and serve. Bon appétit!